The International Building Code (IBC) is the foundation of the International Building Codes. It is an essential tool to navigate the entire ICC family of codes that provide minimum safeguards from hazards associated with the built environment. It addresses design and installation of materials that are used today in the construction of buildings and structures.
- Principals are based on protection of public health, safety and welfare but do not necessarily provide for property protection.
- Results in designs that provide flexibility for the code official, designer, engineer and architect.
- Provisions of the code encourage the use of new and smarter technological advances.
- Emphasizes both prescriptive and engineered solutions and allows the use of time-tested methods.
- References nationally developed consensus standards.
PCA encourages the active participation of individuals or groups interested in code development. Contact Jay Hall for more information on how to participate.