Manager, Product Standards and Technology
Do you have a passion for technology and the standards and specifications behind it? Do you have a desire to make a difference in a critical industry? Safe, strong and efficient infrastructure is the backbone of the U.S. economy, as transportation networks built with concrete connect large and small business to the global economy. Thanks to the cement used to make concrete, our roads and bridges, runways, ports and waterways are durable, resilient and built to serve our nation for generations to come.
PCA has a great career opportunity for a Manager of Product Standards and Technology. This position will be responsible for supporting, evaluating and representing consensus positions of the cement industry regarding cement and cement-based materials’ standards among standards developing organizations.
The Manager will have to demonstrate strong critical thinking skills to evaluate competing interests of industry, users, government, academia, and others to assist the cement industry in reaching consensus positions regarding cement and cement-based standards.
The ability to demonstrate leadership among committee memberships of diverse backgrounds, interests, and motivations without diminishing or disadvantaging consensus positions of the cement industry is a critical path to success.
- Provide assistance and participation within the committee structures of cement and cement-based material standards developing organizations and influencers, including AASHTO, ACI, ASTM, NC2, and TRB
- Tracks and reports on cement and cement-based standards development (including committee discussions, ballots, and ballot results) and the potential impact of that standards development
- Works with Sr. Director, Research and Product Standards and PCA member company technical staff to develop consensus strategy for improvements to cement and cement-based standards favorable to the cement industry
- Supports actions in response to adverse cement and cement-based materials’ standards development
- Provides individual PCA member company technical support related to cement and cement-based standards at the federal, state, and regional level
- Provides internal technical support related to cement and cement-based materials’ technology to PCA staff and other allied organization staff
- Serves as PCA’s technical liaison for select research programs
- Provides technical support for general public inquiries related to cement and cement-based materials’ standards
- Provides technical support for PCA publications and educational programs
What You Need to Succeed
- 5 to 15 years in leadership positions of a cement or cement-based standards developing organization preferred
- B.S. in the physical sciences or materials science or materials engineering or civil/structural engineering
- Comprehensive knowledge of cement and concrete technology, chemistry, cement-product standards and specifications, research protocols, and standards committee operations.
- Excellent verbal and communication skills are essential.
- Strong decision-making skillset desired.
The Portland Cement Association (PCA), founded in 1916, is the premier policy, research, education, and market intelligence organization serving America’s cement manufacturers. PCA members represent 91 percent of U.S. cement production capacity with facilities in all 50 states. PCA promotes safety, sustainability, and innovation in all aspects of construction, fosters continuous improvement in cement manufacturing and distribution, and generally promotes economic growth and sound infrastructure investment.