WASHINGTON, D.C., November 22, 2022 --The Portland Cement Association (PCA), which represents the majority of America’s cement manufacturers, is proud to announce—and congratulates-- the winners of its 2022 Energy and Environment Awards as well as the 2022 Safety Innovation Awards.
PCA President and CEO Mike Ireland said, “The accomplishments of these award recipients are extraordinary. They put into perspective just how much PCA member companies care about the environment, and more importantly, the safety and well-being of their staffs and the communities where they work.”
He added, “These companies set the bar very high for themselves and are abiding by recommendations made in PCA’s Roadmap to Carbon Neutrality. In some cases, they are exceeding them. They are doing all of this, while manufacturing an essential, sustainable product that is a staple in construction projects all across America.”
2022 PCA Energy and Environment Awards
These awards are given to those companies that have implemented outstanding environmental practices and have forged exemplary relationships with communities where their cement plants are located. Submissions from plants across the U.S. were evaluated and recognized for environmental efforts completed in 2021.
The 2022 PCA Energy and Environment Award recipients are:
- Environmental Performance: Giant Cement Company, Harleyville Plant, Harleyville, SC
- Land Stewardship: Buzzi Unicem USA, Signal Mountain Plant, Chattanooga, TN
- Outreach: CEMEX, Balcones Cement Plant, New Braunfels, TX
- Energy Efficiency: St. Mary’s Cement Inc., Charlevoix Plant, Charlevoix, MI
- Overall Environmental Excellence: CalPortland Company, Ore Grande Cement Plant, Ore Grande, CA
*For a detailed description of each winner, click here: https://www.cement.org/awards/2022-energy-and-environment-award-winners
2022 PCA Safety Innovation Award program.
These awards are given to those companies who have developed innovative practices, projects and programs that improve safety at cement plants in the United States. Broadly, this award program communicates these exceptional ideas to all manufacturers and highlights the importance of safety programs both inside and outside the industry.
Entries are judged in five areas: innovation, ease of use and ease of construction, effectiveness, and risk prevention. Four projects received awards this year. Winners were chosen by PCA’s Occupational Health and Safety Committee and other independent cement industry experts.
The 2022 PCA Safety Innovation Award recipients are:
- Milling and Grinding: CRH Ash Grove Cement, CRH Ash Grove Leamington Plant, Leamington, UT
- Milling and Grinding: CRH Ash Grove Cement, CRH Montana City Plant, Clancy, MT
- General Facility: The Monarch Cement Company, Monarch Cement Plant, Humboldt, KS
- General Facility: Buzzi Unicem USA, Nashville LSI, Nashville, TN
*For a detailed description of each winner, click here: https://www.cement.org/awards/2022-safety-innovation-award-winners
2022 PCA Chairman’s Safety Performance Awards
These awards are given to member cement plants that do not have a reportable injury or illness during the year. Nine plants achieved this in 2022, which represents 10% of all active cement facilities in the U.S. and its territories. This level of excellence is achieved through leadership and teamwork.
The PCA 2022 Chairman’s Safety Performance Award recipients are:
- Argos USA, Atlanta, GA
- Argos USA, Dorado, PR
- Ash Grove Cement Company, Sumterville, FL
- CalPortland Company, Rillito, AZ
- CEMEX USA, Clinchfield, GA
- GCC Dacotah Cement, Inc., Rapid City, SD
- Lehigh Hanson, Inc., Bellingham, WA
- Lehigh Hanson, Inc., Cupertino, CA
- Martin Marietta, New Braunfels, TX
For a detailed description of each winner, click here: https://www.cement.org/awards/2022-chairman's-safety-performance-award-winners
Please direct any questions regarding the Energy and Environment Awards to PCA Director/Assistant Counsel, Government Affairs, Louis Baer, firstname.lastname@example.org
Please direct any questions regarding the Safety Awards to PCA Senior Director of Government Affairs, Tom Harman, email@example.com
# # #
The Portland Cement Association (PCA), founded in 1916, is the premier policy, research, education, and market intelligence organization serving America’s cement manufacturers. PCA members represent the majority of U.S. cement production capacity, having facilities across the country. The association promotes safety, sustainability, and innovation in all aspects of construction, fosters continuous improvement in cement manufacturing and distribution, promoting economic growth and sound infrastructure investment. For more information, visit www.cement.org.