Manager, Water Resources and Geotechnical Markets
Reports to: Director, Pavements & Geotechnical Markets
Department Name: Market Development
Location: Skokie, IL / Remote
The Portland Cement Association (PCA), founded in 1916, is the premier policy, research, education and market intelligence organization serving America’s cement manufacturers. PCA members represent 93 percent of U.S. cement production capacity and have facilities in all 50 states. The Association promotes safety, sustainability, and innovation in all aspects of construction, fosters continuous improvement in cement manufacturing and distribution, and generally promotes economic growth and sound infrastructure investment.
The Manager, Water Resources and Geotechnical Markets participates in programs and activities directed for the purpose of expanding market share for use of portland cement in water resources, waste management, and other geotechnical markets. Applications addressed include dams, bank protection, and pond liners, waste stabilization/solidification, and slurry cutoff walls Familiarity with conventional concrete, mass concrete, roller-compacted concrete, soil-cement, grouting, controlled low strength materials, cellular concrete, waste stabilization/solidification, concrete cutoff walls, and slurry trenches is essential.
Responsibilities will include developing an effective delivery system, updating department’s webpage, direct contact with key decision makers (personal visits, in-house meetings, telephone calls, and written correspondence), working with allied industry groups, publishing technical and promotional articles, presenting PCA at conferences and engineering society meetings, and participating in technical committee activities.
- Develop and implement an effective promotion and delivery system.
- Prepare publications, articles and case studies on water resource & waste management applications.
- Respond to requests for technical information and assistance.
- Maintain and update the department’s website.
- Work with PCA affiliate regions and cement and concrete allied industry organizations including, National Ready Mixed Concrete Association and PCA member companies.
- Provide direct contact with key decision makers including public agencies, private consultants, geotechnical engineers, owners, developers and contractors.
- Work closely with communications department to promote the department’ activities through website enhancement and social media including Facebook, YouTube, Twitter and other digital communication channels.
- Conduct webinars and participate in national, regional and in-house programs.
- Monitor PCA sponsored research activities related to water resource and waste management program.
- Develop and maintain cement-based standards through participation in technical committees.
Essential Skills and Experience:
- Energetic self-starter with at least five years’ work experience in the design and construction of water resources applications.
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering, preferably with a major in geotechnical, or materials engineering.Professional Engineering license a plus.
- Knowledgeable in design and construction of dams, reservoirs, flood control structures bank protection and pond liners using conventional concrete, mass concrete, roller-compacted concrete, soil-cement, grouts and other cement-based materials.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Basic computer skills are required to prepare reports, letters of correspondence, and presentations. More advanced knowledge of spreadsheet and database applications a plus.
- Must work well on a team, effectively prioritize and track tasks for both his/her self as well as the market development team, and consistently meet deadlines.
The Manager, Water Resources and Geotechnical Markets reports to the Director, Pavements & Geotechnical Markets. The position directly supervises no staff members.
If position is based in Skokie, IL. , working conditions entail normal office environmental conditions. If working from a remote home office, must be able to provide suitable office space in the home with minimal disruption. Position entails approximately 20 to 30 percent travel (mostly by air and auto) including overnight stays and weekend work. Must be able to lift boxes of technical/promotional literature (up to 50 lbs.).
This position description describes the general nature of the position. The above information is not intended to be a complete list of all responsibilities and cover every aspect of the position. Additional responsibilities and elements of the description may be added, changed or deleted by management at any time either in writing or verbally.
Equal opportunity employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume to HRMailbox@cement.org